Monday, November 10, 2008

The First Time. The First Blog.

Here I am at a familiar scene in my writing career. Another first time. I am taking the plunge and starting a blog. Like my other firsts in this journey, I have mixed emotions of fear and excitement.

List of Fears:

  1. What will I write about?

  2. When will I have the time to write?

  3. Will anyone read it?

  4. If anyone reads it, will they like it?

  5. Do I really have enough exciting things happen in life that I should have a blog?

  6. What will the blog be called?

  7. How many different topics will I write about?

Looking at these Fears-of-Firsts tied to the world of blogging, I'm reminded of other firsts I've had in the world of writing:

  1. The first time I completed a book manuscript.

  2. The first time I received an acceptance letter from a publishing house.

  3. The first time I saw the cover of my upcoming book.

  4. The first time I held my book in my hands.

  5. The first time I did a booksigning.

  6. The first time I was the subject of a photo shoot.

  7. The first time I did a magazine interview.

  8. The first time I did a radio interview.

  9. The first time I had a short story accepted for publication.

  10. The first time I started a screenplay.

All of these firsts were combined with the same fear and excitment I'm feeling about starting a blog. I survived them all. Maybe fear is part of what makes it all so exciting? Conquring the fear and going after my ambitions allows the excitement to grow stronger than the worry.

There is comfort in knowing that my List of Fears might actually create my List of Excitement.

List of Excitement:

  1. What will I write about? [Anything I want!]

  2. When will I have time to write! [Whenever I find the time!]

  3. Will anyone read it! [With promotion and hard work, yes someone will!]

  4. If anyone reads it, will they like it! [Of course they will!]

  5. Do I really have enough exciting things happen in life that I should have a blog? [Yes!]

  6. What will the blog be called? [Michael Rivers: The Blog!]

  7. How many different topics will I write about? [As many as I want!]

My first time is over. The first blog is complete.

It wasn't so scary after all.

Actually, it was rather exciting!




1 comment:

REDLAN said...

I will find if your book I'll cover You in $20 Bills at the local bookstore here in my country. I am interested about that book. Keep up the good work!