Monday, December 22, 2008

Golden Globe Predictions: Part One

The Golden Globes will broadcast on January 11, 2009. Each year I make predictions about who will win. I usually do this with my friend, Anthony. I asked him to join me on this blog. So welcome, Anthony, as my guest blogger.

Our predictions for the motion picture categories are below. The television predictions will follow in a separate blog.


BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire

Michael: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. This has the Best Motion Picture feel.

Anthony
: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The momentum is strong for this one.


BEST MOTION PICTURE, COMEDY
Burn After Reading
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Mamma Mia!
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Michael: I loved all of these. Mamma Mia! won't get it, but it's such a fun movie. In Bruges was a great surprise. Vicky Cristina Barcelona was another wonderful Woody Allen script. Burn After Reading was hilarious. It's between Burn After Reading and Vicki Cristina Barcelona.

Anthony: Burn After Reading. The Coen brothers have a lot of buzz and their success from last year could carry over.


ACTOR, DRAMA
Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Michael: Sean Penn. Milk is getting such great reviews and mostly because of him. I haven't seen The Wrestler yet so I might change my mind.

Anthony: Mickey Rourke. His performance is being labeled "Best Performance of the Year" and "A Comeback." People love a comeback.


ACTRESS, DRAMA
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kristin Scott Thomas, I've Loved You So Long
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road

Michael: Meryl Streep.

Anthony: Meryl Streep.


ACTOR, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Javier Bardem, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Colin Farrell, In Bruges
James Franco, Pineapple Express
Brendan Gleeson, In Bruges
Dustin Hoffman, Last Chance Harvey

Michael: I think Javier will get it, but I would love to see Colin Farrel win. His performance was very emotional.

Anthony: James Franco. The movie was a big hit and he is building a great career.


ACTRESS, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Rebecca Hall, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Frances McDormand, Burn After Reading
Meryl Streep, Mamma Mia!
Emma Thompson, Last Chance Harvey

Michael: Frances and Meryl were both incredible. I think Meryl will win. Her role was more of a challenge. Singing, dancing, comedy.

Anthony: I loved Frances McDormand. She'll win.


SUPPORTING ACTOR
Tom Cruise, Tropic Thunder
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Ralph Fiennes, The Duchess
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Michael: Heath Ledger.

Anthony: Heath Ledger.


SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler
Kate Winslet, The Reader

Michael: Penelope Cruz. When watching the movie I thought, "She's going to win awards for this." She stole every scene. She deserves the win.

Anthony: Penelope Cruz. For the Vicky Cristina Barcelona nominations, she has the biggest chance of winning.


DIRECTOR
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry, The Reader
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Sam Mendes, Revolutionary Road

Michael: David Fincher.

Anthony: Danny Boyle. Great buzz and he's an established director.


SCREENPLAY
Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
David Hare, The Reader
Peter Morgan, Frost/Nixon
Eric Roth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
John Patrick Shanley, Doubt

Michael: Peter Morgan.

Anthony: Eric Roth. The screenplay is complex and original.


ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E


Michael: WALL-E

Anthony: WALL-E



2 comments:

Kenneth Fron said...

This is a great Blog feature! They always say the winner(s) of the Golden Globe's are a strong indication of the Oscar's. It's nice to see your opinions and categories. I am very embarrased to say that I have not seen any of these movies except for Kung Fu Panda on DVD recently, which we stopped 1/2 way through because Tim and I were really bored with it. I love Brad Pitt and also am dying to see The Changeling. I've seen Mama Mia on stage 3 times and can't wait to see the DVD. I will probably see MILK in a week or two on vacation...I just have issues with gay films done in the 70's era...flannel shirts, moustaches...yuck. Sean Penn is also hard for me to digest. Not exactly easy on the eyes. It sure is an interesting year at the movies. Last year, I was so into La Vie en Rose!!!

Michael Rivers said...

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the comments! I'm not a huge Sean Penn fan either. I hope he doesn't beat me up for saying that. haha. I have never seen Mamma Mia! onstage but I will next time it comes through Minneapolis. I have to see many of the movies that are up for awards too. So easy to forget how many movies come out!