Friday, December 12, 2008

They are in the Mail

My Holiday Cards are officially in the mail. Written, addressed, stuffed, stamped and dropped off at the post office.

2 Countries.
15 States.
35 Cities.
70 Cards.

Whew.

Okay, I took a few shortcuts to get these done. But that's not bad. Everyone can afford to save time during the holiday season.

  1. I didn't write my name and address on the envelopes: My car insurance provider sent to me some great holiday address stickers. These saved time and added holiday cheer to the upper left corner of the envelope. The stickers were in Christmas colors and Santa smiled beside my name and address.
  2. I didn't write the recipient's name and address on the envelopes: A couple years ago, I started a Christmas Card Label Spreadsheet. Each year I add new friends to the list. Then I press PRINT and watch as my printer happily fills in sheets of labels. And these aren't plain, boring labels. This year, a snowflake was beside each person's name.
  3. I always use holiday stamps. That way the upper right corner of the envelope has a touch of Ho Ho Ho.
  4. Who wants to lick envelopes? I use Scotch Tape. Quick, easy and simple. Sometimes I'll add a Christmas sticker on the back of the envelope. Can there ever be too much?
  5. I didn't do a holiday letter this year. Time was running out. I couldn't think of a time saving tip for this except just not to do one. Next year!

No matter how many time saving tricks you do, preparing 70 cards (or more) is a lot of work. Sometimes it seems like too much work. But in the end, I believe it's worth it.

As I was dropping each envelope into the mail, I looked it over to make sure I didn't miss anything. I smiled as I read the names of each family member and friend. I was reminded once again how fortunate I am to have so many special people in my life.

Sending a card to wish them a great holiday and a wonderful new year filled me with the spirit of the season.

2 comments:

Ryan Thomas said...

Another good way to save time on Christmas cards is to reduce your list based on receipt. According to some articles I read on "manners," you can stop sending cards to people you've not received a card from in two or more years. Sounds fair to me!

P.S. Found your blog via TheStreetsofSanFrancisco blog.

Michael Rivers said...

Hi Ryan,You are right.  I have read the same thing and I think I am going to start doing it too.  This year, I am going to track who sends back a card and who doesn't.  Anyone can miss a year, but after a number of years with no returned card, you have to wonder if you should keep sending one.  When I take down my cards this year, I'll mark off their name on my spreadsheet and then see what happens next year!