Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Black Sheep Pizza: Food Review 3 of 52


As part of my New Year's Resolution to try 52 new restaurants, diners, coffee shops and bakeries during 2009, I present the following review:

Place:
Black Sheep Pizza.

Location:
600 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN

Theme:
Coal Fired Pizza.

Who I Went With:
Scott.

What I Ate:
Fennel Sausage, Hot Salami, Onion & Cracked Green Olives Pizza.

Meatball, Garlic & Ricotta Cheese Pizza.

Diet Coke.





Would I Go Back:
For sure.

Worth the Price:
Definitely.

Opinion:
On Saturday, Black Sheep Pizza opens at 4pm. We got there at 5:10pm and there was already a 25 minute wait. The place is popular. When we walked into the building where Black Sheep Pizza is located, wonderful smells hit us full force. We hadn't even entered the actual restaurant but the pizza smells filled the air.

The employees and host were great to the people waiting for a table. They asked us how we were doing, offered to hang up our coats and asked if we wanted a beverage while we waited.

In looking at the menu, all the pizzas sounded great. Thankfully, our waiter suggested doing a 1/2 and 1/2 order. He also recommended that half the order be the meatball pizza with garlic and Ricotta added. This was his favorite.

I had never had coal fired pizza. According to Black Sheep Pizza's website, "Coal was burned in the first ovens to bake pizza in the United States . . . Black Sheep Pizza seeks to honor the craft of these pioneers to create the great American experience pizza for you."

After tasting the pizza, I know Black Sheep does create that great experience. The flavors were so fresh. The topping combinations were perfect. You can taste each ingredient. I lost track of the times I said, "This is so good!"

Of the two pizzas we tried, the meatball, garlic and Ricotta cheese was my favorite. When I go back again, I am getting an entire pizza of that.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

It seems like all the best pizzas I love are cooked in a coal oven. John's and Lombardi's, the best pizza in NYC, are as well. I'm glad Black Sheep does a good job! I better get there soon.

Michael Rivers said...

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for stopping by. I checked out your blog and I will be coming back often! We need to compare notes!

--Michael

Gordon said...

Wow. You ever tasted Punch? This tough-crusted salt lick really disgusted me. The place was packed (why?) and the pizza was totally forgettable. When the local competition is Punch, why would anyone settle for this?