Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Running into Debbie Reynolds

Debbie Reynolds was the headline performer on my cruise through the Mexican Riviera. I had heard rumor that she was on the ship for the entire week but I had yet to see her. People talked about running into Debbie and how great she was. She was on board to work one evening but she was also enjoying the cruise.

One afternoon I was hungry so I went to the Market Place Cafe (a 24 hour buffet with ever changing food and dessert options). I loaded up a plate, filled up my soda glass and picked a table. As I walked toward my desired chair, I noticed Debbie eating lunch as well.

I almost joined her but decided to stick with my original plan of finding my own seat. I sometimes get a little over confident around celebrities. Why wouldn't Debbie Reynolds want to have lunch with Michael Rivers (an almost celebrity)? It seemed logical to me.

As I ate I tried not to stare at Debbie. It was hard. This was the closest I'd ever come to eating lunch with an Oscar nominated actress.

A few people approached Debbie while she ate and she was always gracious. Posing for photos, signing autographs and telling people how much she was enjoying the cruise (not that I was listening in on conversations).

When she finished eating I went over and asked if I could get a photo with her. I said I was really looking forward to her show and wished her well for the rest of the week.

19 comments:

David Dust said...

Look how CUTE you both are!!

XOXOXOXO

My Daily List said...

That is so cool! The list of celebrities I might want to bump into is pretty short but Debbie Reynolds and Mickey Rooney are at the top.

RAD said...

you and Debbie..cute cute cute! I am jealous!

mistress maddie said...

I am enjoying the unfolding of the trip details and pictures. How nice to run into Debbie! And I have to say your very handsome!!!

Kate said...

Well that is just too awesome :)

Shelly E. said...

Hey! I am LOVING the blogs! I always look forward to the next one.

Tom M. (MPLS) said...

How fantastic was that!

Sheree (Jersey) said...

Your blog is great!

William said...

What would Joan say!?? lol kidding...

Michael Rivers said...

Hey William,

Shhhh . . . don't tell Joan!! I wouldn't want to see a catfight between Joan and Debbie. There is enough of me to go around!

Robert said...

Wow! That is AMAZING! You must've had a blast!

Ryan (AZ) said...

This is so awesome! What a great picture of the 2 of you.

Gaylene (Chicago) said...

Hey you crazy guy.....you are amazing....how in the world do you always manage to be at the right place at the right time? Too funny......

David A. said...

How did you stay so cute, with a round-the-clock buffet so close?

Laura said...

You are so cute! Great story.

Mommy With a Penis said...

Michael and I saw her show here in North Hollywood last month. (I'm sure it's pretty much the same show she's been doing for decades.) She's a rare breed, our Debbie. Plucky and able to walk. So many of them are on hoverounds or have a box they talk out of or something. Three cheers for Debbie!

Pete said...

Great photo of you and Debbie Michael.You look very spunky. We brought Debbie here to Perth,Western Australia to appear in the musical "Irene' as Irene's Mom and she was the nicest person we have ever worked with - we had the best time ever - full houses and she was so gracous - at stage door every night - sometimes staying over an hour to sign autographs. Hope your book reaches Australia.

Anne B said...

Debbie is one of that rare breed of the truly classy dames of Hollywood. She's never too busy to greet a fan because she really does appreciate them. Ditto Joan and a few others, not those "no cameras please" and "no autographs" ingrates. You look DIVINE together!!!!

Tina B. said...

Shhhh....Maybe some of us would want to see a catfight between Joan and Debbie!!! lol