Saturday, June 13, 2009

Top 10 Baby Names 2008

The Social Security Administration has released the Top 10 Baby Names for 2008. I was curious where Michael ended up. The results:

Top 10 Boy Names for 2008

1 Jacob
2 Michael
3 Ethan
4 Joshua
5 Daniel
6 Alexander
7 Anthony
8 William
9 Christopher
10 Matthew

Ugh. Frustration. Michael lost another year's battle to be in the number one spot. A spot he first achieved in 1954. Michael held the number one spot for 43 of the next 44 years. Only slipping in 1960 when David was the number one boy name. In 1961, Michael knocked-out David and took over the top spot again. He held tight through 1998 (38 years).

From 1999 through 2008 Michael has held the #2 spot. What has happened? David managed to keep Michael down for only one year. Now for ten years Michael can't get back on top.

Since 1999, Jacob has held the number one position. Just who IS this Jacob? I think it's time for Michael to reclaim his rightful spot on top of the list!

Go Michael!

If you are curious about your own name, the Social Security Administration has a great site to look up names, years and ranks.




7 comments:

Kate said...

Hey, don't complain! The name Kate is sucking out majorly (I also checked out Kathryn and Katie and they're no better)! #2 is better that #139, where I am.

And yeah, who IS this Jacob? I don't like him.

Mac Callister said...

haha this is an interesting post!i never knew that info!thanks!

behrmark said...

Well the name "Mark" has been in steady decline over the past few years, falling out of the top 100. Does that mean in a few years it will be "unique?"

mistress maddie said...

I had a pretty good feeling Mistress Maddie wasn't on here! LOL! but Alexander? Really? If that were my name I think I would hate it. And my real name isn't even on their either. Steve- maybe to common

Anonymous said...

Baby names Mikey? Hope you aren't trying to tell us something! HAHAHA!

I prefer my unique spelling of Mathieu, the one on the list has no class. hahaha.

Mattie

David Kreth Allen said...

That's one of the cutest things I've ever seen! And yes, "David" kicks ass! No pride here, of course.

Mark in DE said...

Oh no - what happened to the gays? Everyone knows that gay men are all named Mark, Rick, or Steve!