Friday, August 28, 2009

Subsurdity: Vignettes from Jasper Lane



I just finished reading Subsurdity: Vignettes from Jasper Lane by Eric Arvin. Humor, mystery, secrets and romance fill the pages. I don't often laugh out loud when reading. I will crack a smile or nod my head thinking, "That's funny." But few writers make me laugh. I did laugh along with Arvin's suburban tale.

The situations he places his characters in are creative and humorous. The dialogue is witty and sharp. I often re-read my favorite lines (another thing I don't do very often) and thought, "I need to remember that phrase so I can use it one day."

What I appreciate is how unique each character is. These are not cookie cutter neighbors who blur together. They each stand on their own and add to the story.

Subsurdity: Vignettes from Jasper Lane is a very fun read. It even tugs at the romance side of this hardened (and perhaps a bit jaded) reader!

I want to move to Jasper Lane.

My neighborhood is way too boring.

To order a signed copy of the book, check out Eric's blog: Daventry Blue.

The book is also available to order online or check your favorite bookstore!

6 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

Thank you so much! I'm elated you liked it. :-)

Doug Goff said...

Okay you got me, what the hell is on the front cover of that book?

Sharon McPherson: AUTHOR / ARTIST said...

Hey, I've just discovered your blog. From Aberdeen to USA - good move. I am assuming Aberdeen, Scotland (because I know there is an Aberdeen in Kentucky), anyway I am from Dundee (your old neighbour) and unfortunately I am still here - me and the rain. ):

Glad I found your blog. :)

Wonder Man said...

I'm excited to get my copy

Mistress Maddie said...

I just adored this book also! One of the funniest stories I have read in some time. I can't wait for the sequel.

edder said...

Thanks for the tip, Michael. I need a good read right now and love finding writers who can do sharp funny dialogue.

E.g., David Sedaris...I pull out his books and reread them all the time. God, the boyhood sleepover story had me howling but it was poignant at the same time. So many good ones it's hard to keep track...